I’m in the unique position of being able to share with you questions I recommend from the perspective of a breeder. I know how to find a responsible breeder because I am one, I know how to spot a waving red flag and I know which answers are commonly touted as red flags when they really aren’t and don’t matter all that much in the grand scheme of things.
There are so many things to consider when narrowing down your puppy selection and one of the most important things you can possibly decide is the breeder of your future dog. I’m also happy to provide information on the other things you should look for in a breeder (apart from the answers to these questions).
The answers to the following questions can be very important, others will just give you an idea as to what kind of person a particular breeder is. I have the full article HERE that includes the explanations for what answers mean (what they should be, shouldn’t be, etc).
Use this list as a copy-and-paste into an email sort of list. But read the explanations so you’re prepared for the interview.
Keep in mind that an unethical breeder will have no problem lying to you. Listen to your intuition. If you feel like something “just isn’t right” then move on. There are plenty of breeders out there and there is no reason to choose a breeder you’re not completely comfortable with.
And I’ve answered these questions, too.
1) Are you a professional breeder or a private breeder?
2) Why do you breed dogs?
3) What breeds do you currently breed and what others have you bred in the past?
4) What health problems are present in the breed? Which of these are genetic? What do you do to breed away from these problems?
5) What traits do you breed for specifically?
6)What are your goals in breeding?
7) What kinds of activities do you do with your dogs?
8) How many dogs do you own (guardian dogs included) and how many of them are breeding dogs?
9) Are your dogs kenneled outside or do they live in your home or someone else’s home?
10) How many litters do you have per year?
11) Where are your litters raised? If in the house where is they nursery located?
12) What early training do you do with the puppies and how do you socialize them?
13) When can I visit a litter and at what age do the puppies go home?
14) How many puppies are usually in a litter?
15) Are your adult dogs house-trained? If so how long did they take to potty train?
16) What are the good traits of your breeding dogs?
17) What are the faults and/or limitations of your breeding dogs?
18) What do you feed your dogs?
19) Can I meet the parents?
20) Do you ever have rescue dogs available for adoption?